Why should I do stretching exercises if I have arthritis?

The following stretches should be very effective for you to perform-hip flexor (standing), inner thigh (seated) and calf complex. With each stretch is important to hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat. Also, with any stretch you perform use caution and stretch only within a range of motion that is always pain free.

Dr. Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

If you have arthritis, stretching all of your muscles will treat any pain you already have, and it will help ensure that you don't develop pain somewhere else, so do as much of a whole-body workout as you can. Emphasizing certain stretching exercises based on your specific needs is good common sense. For example, if you have tight hamstrings, but very flexible hip flexors and quadriceps, stretch your hip flexors and quadriceps less and your hamstrings more.

The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Living With Arthritis

Should arthritis patients exercise?
Mary VokurkaMary Vokurka
According to Anderssen, Thorstensson, Roos, Petersson, Heinegard and Saxne (2006) exercise is a trea...
How can I make ironing easier if I have arthritis?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Avoid setting up a full-size ironing board for small jobs. Purchase a mini ironing board that yo...
What Are the Main Treatments for Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Are the Symptoms of Psoriatic Arthritis?