Why should I do stretching exercises if I have arthritis?

The following stretches should be very effective for you to perform-hip flexor (standing), inner thigh (seated) and calf complex. With each stretch is important to hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat. Also, with any stretch you perform use caution and stretch only within a range of motion that is always pain free.

Dr. Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

If you have arthritis, stretching all of your muscles will treat any pain you already have, and it will help ensure that you don't develop pain somewhere else, so do as much of a whole-body workout as you can. Emphasizing certain stretching exercises based on your specific needs is good common sense. For example, if you have tight hamstrings, but very flexible hip flexors and quadriceps, stretch your hip flexors and quadriceps less and your hamstrings more.

The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Living With Arthritis

What are the benefits of using exercise machines if I have arthritis?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
An elliptical machine is ideal for people with arthritis, because it is weight-bearing, but without ...
How can I deal with fatigue caused by arthritis?
To deal with fatigue caused by arthritis, try the following: Get extra rest by taking breaks or ...
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?
How Does Psoriatic Arthritis Damage My Body?