What are the benefits of using exercise machines if I have arthritis?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
An elliptical machine is ideal for people with arthritis, because it is weight-bearing, but without the impact of jogging or walking. You can comfortably use it in rain, sleet, snow, or excessive heat because it is kept indoors. People tend to stick with activities that they enjoy and that are weather-independent. You can use it in front of a television, while reading a book, or listening to music, which will make it more likely that you will stick with it. Other machines fit these criteria, including stationary bicycles and treadmills (although treadmills are high-impact and can overstress the joints). If you use a stationary bicycle, adjust the pedals so that you don't bring your knees to more than 90 degrees of flexion.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Living With Arthritis

How can I make gardening easier on my joints if I have arthritis?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some tips to make gardening easier if you have arthritis: Protect your hands while garde...
What kind of household containers are easy to use if I have arthritis?
If you have arthritis, you can utilize easy-to-use containers like these: Put detergent into a sma...
Enjoy Sweet Pain Relief with Strawberries
What Are the Symptoms of Psoriatic Arthritis?