I have mild hip arthritis, what are a few safe exercises I can perform?

Great suggestions from the NASM. Another thing you might consider would be to include flexibility exercises into your routine. Especially those that would help lengthen the muscles that cross the hip joint in the front (hip flexor group).

Inactivity and especially extended periods of sitting can add to stiffness and pain. Below are a couple of links for easy hip flexor stretches.

Standing Hip Flexor Stretch - http://www.hfpn.com/library/exercise.aspx?id=7068

Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch - http://www.hfpn.com/library/exercise.aspx?id=7058

A floor bridge, plank, single-leg balance, ball squat, and small box step-up are all great for you. These exercises help to strengthen your core (abdominals and low back muscles) and/or gluteals (butt muscles). These exercises are low impact, and low-impact exercises are typically safer for your joints. In addition to these exercises, try to stay relatively active (such as going for short walks) and avoid extended periods of inactivity (sitting). Staying active helps your joints stay strong and pliable. Too much sitting can stiffen your joints and increase arthritis pain.

Continue Learning about Living With Arthritis

How can I prioritize to make life easier if I have arthritis?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Concentrate on the important things. Conserve your energy for the things that are most important...
How can I carry things up the stairs if I have arthritis?
Keep a small basket near the stairs to hold items that need to be taken to rooms on a different ...
Enjoy Sweet Pain Relief with Strawberries
What Are the Symptoms of Psoriatic Arthritis?