How can I prioritize to make life easier if I have arthritis?

Concentrate on the important things. Conserve your energy for the things that are most important to you, and delegate or even forget the rest. Spending quality time with your family is more important than having a perfectly clean house or manicured lawn. Choose clothing that does not need ironing; get an easy care haircut; and use pre-cut, washed or prepared items to shortcut meal preparation. Make choices to enhance your life and well-being instead of worrying about the details.

Prioritize chores into categories like “must be done,” “should be done” and “nice to get done.” Begin each day by tackling the “must be done” items, taking short breaks between them if necessary. Less important tasks and jobs can be assigned to family members or moved to another day.

Use online, telephone, mail-order and delivery services as much as possible. You can shop when it is convenient for you and not worry about running out of energy.
Arthritis

Arthritis

Arthritis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier is a compendium of tips, techniques, and life-task shortcuts all learned from personal experience. Author Shelley Peterman Schwarz has lived with a chronic...

Continue Learning about Living With Arthritis

Why should people with arthritis avoid eating red meat?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Eating more red meat increases proinflammatory proteins. Red meat is rich in omega-6 fatty acids, wh...
How can I get a disabled parking permit if I have arthritis?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
If you have difficulty walking, you may qualify for a disabled parking permit. With the permit, ...
Does Having Psoriatic Arthritis Increase My Risk for Having Other Forms of Arthritis?
How Can Exercise Help Me Manage Psoriatic Arthritis?