How can I help prevent allergies from affecting my sex life?

Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Allergies can be more than an annoyance. Fatigue, itchiness, snoring and problems breathing can harm a healthy sex life. The following tips can help mitigate allergies' impact on the bedroom:
  1. Keep Fido off the Bed: Keep pets out of the bedroom to lower the amount of animal allergens present which can cause allergy symptoms to flare, killing the mood.
  2. Wash Wisely: Wash and shampoo nightly, if you were outdoors on high pollen days. This way you can prevent transferring fresh air containing pollens from getting into your bedroom and bedding.
  3. How You Look Affects How You Feel: A dripping nose or puffy eyes may leave you feeling less attractive or self-conscious, not exactly putting you in the mood. Proper allergy and/or sinus care (whether it be over the counter or prescription) can often lead to a reduction in puffy, swollen lids and under-eye circles, making you look and feel better.
  4. Seek Help: An allergist can find the source of your suffering and stop it. With allergy testing, your doctor can help develop a plan to end your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

Big News on Pricing for EpiPens and Alternatives
The band Berlin hit the charts in 1986 with Take My Breath Away, a year before the first epinephrine auto-injector was FDA approved. That device was a...
How can I keep my bedroom free of allergens?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Keep your bedroom allergen-free by following these steps: Step 1. Pets -- Remove any furry or fea...
How can having allergies help protect me from brain cancer?
Some fascinating new research reveals that allergies protect you from brain cancer. How do allergies...
What Can I Do About An Itchy Nose If I Have Allergies?