How can I help prevent allergies from affecting my sex life?

Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Allergies can be more than an annoyance. Fatigue, itchiness, snoring and problems breathing can harm a healthy sex life. The following tips can help mitigate allergies' impact on the bedroom:
  1. Keep Fido off the Bed: Keep pets out of the bedroom to lower the amount of animal allergens present which can cause allergy symptoms to flare, killing the mood.
  2. Wash Wisely: Wash and shampoo nightly, if you were outdoors on high pollen days. This way you can prevent transferring fresh air containing pollens from getting into your bedroom and bedding.
  3. How You Look Affects How You Feel: A dripping nose or puffy eyes may leave you feeling less attractive or self-conscious, not exactly putting you in the mood. Proper allergy and/or sinus care (whether it be over the counter or prescription) can often lead to a reduction in puffy, swollen lids and under-eye circles, making you look and feel better.
  4. Seek Help: An allergist can find the source of your suffering and stop it. With allergy testing, your doctor can help develop a plan to end your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
How can cleaning my house help my allergies?
Your home is filled with free-floating allergens such as pet dander (skin flakes from your cats ...
Why do some antihistamines in allergy medicines make me sleepy?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Antihistamines are distinguished by the fact that some make us sleepy and some don't. The ones t...
What Can I Do About An Itchy Nose If I Have Allergies?