How can I manage my allergies during allergy season?

Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergist & Immunologist

Like in many cases, your best defense is a great offense, so be proactive and work with an allergist to develop a simple allergy action plan, and follow some of these seasonal tips for effective control of your allergies:

• Stress less. Try yoga, meditation and daily exercise to get the endorphins (chemicals produced and responsible for an exercise-induced feeling of wellbeing) going to promote a healthier lifestyle, and perhaps increase your chance of a better allergy control, when combined with appropriate over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription allergy care.
  • Plan ahead, and follow the weather and pollen forecasts when you expect to spend time outdoors, particularly on sunny, warm and windy days, when pollen levels are highest. Pollen counts are often lower by the beach or a body of water, such as a lake, river, etc.
  • Wash wisely! That's right use gentle eyelid irrigation and nasal saline sprays to wash and/or dilute pollens that have accumulated and cause itchy, red and watery eyes during the season. If you were outside during a high pollen day, consider shampooing your hair nightly and change your clothing before entering the bedroom to prevent "pollens" from being deposited onto your bedding. Hair gel and products can act like a "pollen magnet," too.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
Is there any benefit to having allergies?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
All that sneezing and sniffling is annoying, but people with allergies might fight off a certain...
Why does MERV matter if I have allergies?
If you have allergies, an air filter can help -- if, that is, the filter has the right MERV rati...
What Can I Do About An Itchy Nose If I Have Allergies?