How can I manage my seasonal allergy symptoms?

Avoiding allergens and irritants isn't always practical or possible, so keep these self-care measures up your sleeve to help you get the allergy relief you need:
  • Use a saline nasal spray or rinse to help clear your nose of mucus and irritating allergens.
  • Take a shower or go for a swim to wash pollen from your skin and hair. But keep in mind that chlorine may make allergy symptoms worse for some people, so opt for a dip in the ocean or in a stream, lake, or saltwater pool.
  • Drink lots of fluids. Staying well hydrated helps keep the lining of your nose and sinuses moist and healthy and in good working order.
  • Steam away stuffiness. Breathing in steam -- in a hot shower or over a bowl of hot water -- may provide temporary relief by opening stuffed sinuses and promoting drainage.
  • Use a cold compress or chilled gel mask to soothe itchy, irritated eyes.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

Big News on Pricing for EpiPens and Alternatives
The band Berlin hit the charts in 1986 with Take My Breath Away, a year before the first epinephrine auto-injector was FDA approved. That device was a...
What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
What questions should I ask my healthcare provider about my allergies?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Following are questions you should ask your healthcare provider about your allergies: What am I a...
Will moving alleviate my seasonal allergies?
Moving will not alleviate seasonal allergies. People who are allergic to pollen are often sensitive ...