How can having allergies help protect me from brain cancer?

Some fascinating new research reveals that allergies protect you from brain cancer.

How do allergies keep good brain cells from going rogue? Something in the immune system's overwrought reaction to allergens seems to help it recognize and wipe out bad brain cancer cells. This appears to be especially true in men, who are somewhat more susceptible to the often deadly brain tumors called glioma. It’s the most common brain tumor and the type scientists have been worrying cell phones may cause. (There's new evidence against this, but that's another story.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
Can I take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding?
Whether you can take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding is between you and your...
How can I protect myself against allergens in my home?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Because allergens are so important in causing asthma, the single most effective measure asthmatics c...
What Can I Do About An Itchy Nose If I Have Allergies?