What are some tips for dealing with allergies?

The best tip for dealing with allergies is to avoid being exposed to whatever triggers the allergic response. However, this is not always possible if the person wants to live an active life. The most natural treatment, which can also prevent allergy symptoms from ever starting, is a nasal rinse with saline. Allergies are also treated with antihistamine pills or steroid nasal sprays, which are available over the counter. If the person does not get relief when using these remedies, he or she should see a doctor.

Every spring, millions of Americans dread the trip to the park, the playground, or participating in any of the myriad outdoor activities that trigger outdoor allergy symptoms.

This season can be especially trying for children who suffer from allergies, as they and their parents struggle to participate in outdoor activities without triggering the sneezing, runny nose, eye irritation, or in some cases, asthma symptoms and hives that may occur.

Grass and tree pollen, barbecue smoke, food allergies and even a typical bee sting can cause these reactions. Dr. Ronit Herzog, a pediatric allergy immunologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, offers the following strategies to help parents of allergy sufferers survive the winds of spring and summer:

• Stay in an air-conditioned space. If you are allergic to pollen it is recommended to run the air conditioner as much as possible during the warm-weather months, because it can filter out large, airborne pollen particles. Remember to keep your windows closed and your air conditioner clean.
  • Cut back on morning activities. Pollen counts are usually highest in the early to mid-morning hours between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m., so minimizing early morning activities may help you get a jump start on a symptom-free day. Shower and shampoo after playing or working outside.
  • Avoid stinging insects. If you are allergic to bees you should avoid wearing brightly colored clothing, flower prints, or perfumes and lotions with flowery scents. Always wear shoes when walking in the grass, cover your body as much as possible when working outside, and don't forget to carry medication in case of an emergency.
  • Take medications. Eye drops, nose spray, and non-sedating antihistamine can relieve symptoms temporarily, and taking it an hour before exposure can decrease symptom severity.

Continue Learning about Living With & Managing Allergies

Big News on Pricing for EpiPens and Alternatives
The band Berlin hit the charts in 1986 with Take My Breath Away, a year before the first epinephrine auto-injector was FDA approved. That device was a...
Is there such a thing as an allergy-free room?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
When I was in training to be an allergist at a New York hospital, an industrialist who had aller...
How can I reduce my family's exposure to dust mites?
Use products that protect your pillows and mattresses from dust mites. Their excrement, which totals...
What Can I Do About An Itchy Nose If I Have Allergies?