Should I ask my friend with an eating disorder to exercise with me?

Depending on the severity of the eating disorder, controlled exercise (monitored by health care professional) could be beneficial. Someone with minimal disordered eating issues could gain self-esteem and self-confidence from exercise in an uncontrolled environment. If you are going to ask a friend with an eating disorder to exercise, here are some important things to look for: excessive dieting, considerable weight loss, guilt about eating, preoccupation with food, intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, and preoccupation with body shape and exercise. If you notice that your friend has one or two of these symptoms, your friend may be just starting to exhibit signs of an eating disorder and in that situation may still be in a place to be realistic about exercise. If your friend exhibits many of these symptoms then she may be closer to a more severe eating disorder.

Continue Learning about Living With An Eating Disorder

Do people with eating disorders recover?
Lindsay Johnson, NASM Elite TrainerLindsay Johnson, NASM Elite Trainer
Eating disorders are a serious Mental Illness. When you are struggling to beat such an illness, you ...
How do I manage my eating disorder on a daily basis?
In addition to maintaining the treatments that your doctors have prescribed, there are a number of t...
Where can I find an eating disorder support group?
The best way to find an eating disorder support group is by going on line. You can use the website h...
How Do Eating Disorders Affect the Body?