Is exercise good for someone who has an eating disorder?

Exercise can be good for someone with an eating disorder. Depending on the severity of the disorder, controlled exercise (monitored by a health care professional) is good for someone who has an eating disorder. One of the biggest components of an eating disorder are the addictive, unhealthy behaviors the individual engages in, and if left alone to decide how much exercise is enough, the individual suffering from the disorder will choose too much. In disordered eating, the challenge for that person involved is not in the food and not in the addiction, but in the sense of control which can surface around food, sport and exercise. In a controlled setting it is important for professionals to focus on and understand how to promote proper nutritional practices, focus on fitness not body weight, be sensitive to weight issues and promote healthy management of weight.

Continue Learning about Living With An Eating Disorder

Do people with eating disorders become addicted to exercise?
The severity of the disorder eating will determine whether or not someone becomes addicted to ex...
How can eating disorders affect the skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
If you suffer from anorexia or bulimia, you are wreaking havoc with your skin. Severely restricting ...
Should I ask my friend with an eating disorder to exercise with me?
Depending on the severity of the eating disorder, controlled exercise (monitored by health care ...
How Do Eating Disorders Affect the Body?