How can eating disorders affect the skin?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
If you suffer from anorexia or bulimia, you are wreaking havoc with your skin. Severely restricting your food intake, taking laxatives, and inducing vomiting all have profound adverse effects not only on your skin but also on your hair and nails. Of course, you are also damaging your health in general. I strongly encourage you to seek counseling. I’m counting on the fact that you will be motivated to get help now that you know that you are causing your skin to look far older than it really is. I know that’s not what you want, and I have faith that you’ll decide to get your situation under control so that you can follow all of the advice in this book and have the glowing, youthful skin you deserve.

Continue Learning about Living With An Eating Disorder

How do eating disorders affect people's thoughts?
Eating disorders in their extreme form seem to burrow into the brains of their victims, take over th...
What are the best steps to seek help if I think I have an eating disorder?
Bonnie Brennan, LPC, NCCBonnie Brennan, LPC, NCC
If you think you have an eating disorder, the best steps to take include acceptance of your relation...
Do people with eating disorders recover?
Lindsay Johnson, NASM Elite TrainerLindsay Johnson, NASM Elite Trainer
Eating disorders are a serious Mental Illness. When you are struggling to beat such an illness, you ...
How Do Eating Disorders Affect the Body?