Why do people with ADHD hold themselves back?

Many people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) know what they are good at and yet choose to try to make a living doing something that comes harder to them. What are the reasons people do what they don’t love?
  • People do things they don’t love, or choose to spend their life with people they don’t love because they are trying to make other people happy – many times their parents.
  • They think the rewards are worth it - money, prestige, or fame – take your pick.
  • They never took the time to think about what they love to do or are good at.
  • Someone told them that life is SUPPOSED TO BE HARD.
  • They were afraid to risk themselves in what they really wanted. It makes us more vulnerable to put our real selves in our work. It hurts a lot more if we fail than if we are just punching a time card.
  • They don’t know how to do what they love.
  • They have limiting beliefs about what is possible or acceptable.

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
How can choosing the right carbs help me manage my ADHD symptoms?
The kind of carbohydrates you choose may be important in your quest to better manage your attent...
How can being creative help me deal with my adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), using your emotional sensitivity to create -- wh...
4 Myths About ADHD in Kids
4 Myths About ADHD in Kids