What are healthy ways to take risks if I am a teen with ADHD?

Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Psychology Specialist

Many teens with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) seek stimulation. Like them, you may crave excitement and constantly be looking for more action and more intense experiences. This trait may make experimenting with drugs and alcohol a very real temptation. You can safely honor your need for thrills by finding healthy and natural methods for gaining positive emotional "highs."

The following are common risky behaviors teens with ADHD experiment with:

• Smoking pot or using other drugs
  • Drinking alcohol
  • Drinking and driving
  • Speeding or driving recklessly in other ways
  • Driving while texting or talking on the phone
  • Having unprotected sex
  • Shoplifting
  • Breaking the law
  • Being promiscuous
  • Smoking cigarettes
  • Vandalizing property

Here are some activities healthy ways to take risks:

• Yoga
  • Live music concerts
  • Ice skating
  • Hiking
  • Biking
  • Frisbee
  • Dancing
  • Meditation
  • Spiritual retreats
  • Rock climbing
  • Exploring new parts of your community
  • Taking a class in something you've never tried before
  • Amusement parks
  • Joining a group that shares an interest of yours
  • Finding local festivals
The ADHD Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Gain Motivation and Confidence (Instant Help Book for Teens)

Focus on Your Strengths and Overcome ADHDSymptoms of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, can strike at any time-during class, when you're listening to a friend's story, while doing...

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
What are the challenges of being an adult with ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
For every wildly successful attention deficit disorder (ADD) businessperson, there is one who lands ...
How can I keep long-term projects on track if I have ADHD?
Facing a big task with lots of pieces can feel overwhelming when you have ADHD. So take every la...
Is Your ADHD Teen Ready to Drive?
Is Your ADHD Teen Ready to Drive?