How can I control my hyperactivity if I am a teen with ADHD?

As a teen with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you can gain control over your hyperactivity by simply noticing it and observing it rather than being driven by it. This approach of taking a step back and witnessing your behavior without judging or criticizing yourself is called mindfulness. The more you are mindful of your activity level, the better chance you have of calming yourself down.

You can choose a calm, quiet place where you can sit or lie down comfortably. Adjust yourself so your head and back are aligned and supported. Mentally scan your body, using words like "tight," "loose," "heavy," or "warm" to describe what you notice. Start with your head, and notice if you feel any tension in your scalp, eyes, nose, or mouth. Just notice what you are sensing, without judging it in any way. Move your attention down through your neck, shoulders, arms, and hands. Scan your chest and stomach area, down through your pelvis and bottom. Continue down your legs to your feet.

When you are done, write down any sensations you noticed. Did you feel any hyperactivity in your body? If so, where did you feel it? Describe what your hyperactivity feels like as best as you can. Does it feel like an engine revving up or like butterflies, or is it a different feeling altogether?

On a scale from 1 to 10, how intense would you rate the level of hyperactivity, with 1 being very still and 10 being extremely hyper?

Now that you have practiced in a quiet setting, try to notice your hyperactivity as you go through your day. You don't have to lie down or scan your entire body; just ask yourself what your level of hyperactivity is and where you feel it.
The ADHD Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Gain Motivation and Confidence (Instant Help Book for Teens)

Focus on Your Strengths and Overcome ADHDSymptoms of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, can strike at any time-during class, when you're listening to a friend's story, while doing...

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
How can I improve my attention to detail if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), use the following quick tips to help you pay a...
How can adults with ADHD set their priorities?
People living with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) should create a master to-do ...
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications