How can I build resilience if I have adult ADD?

If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), one of the best ways to tackle arenas where you are flailing around with little success is to learn how to relate to failure. If you find yourself in a setting that isn't a good match for you, you may feel like a failure. Similarly, if you have failed in the past in settings that were out of sync with who you are, you may be too paralyzed by fear of failure to move on. Two steps can help you move on. The first step is to let yourself feel the disappointment fully. Even if your worn out dreams weren't a good match, they still were very real dreams. You may need to grieve in order to begin the process of letting go of outdated dreams of who you are and what you want. The second step is to buck up and bounce back -- show the world and yourself your resilience.

Each time you fail but bounce back, you build strength and resilience. Having greater strength and resilience will allow you to persevere longer than others who have not experienced failure. Having greater strength and resilience will also prime you for success by making you immune to the minor and major setbacks that may derail others.

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
How can I make others feel heard if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), make others feel heard, so they will stop repe...
Why should I deal with my feelings if I'm a teen with ADHD?
One of the best ways to manage your attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as a teen is...
Use Technology to Get Organized
Use Technology to Get Organized