Q

Living With ADD/ADHD

How does adult ADHD affect my relationships?

• A , Psychiatry, answered
    Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can create a range of problems in a relationship. In this video, psychiatrist Sudeepta Varma, MD, discusses some of the challenges this condition presents.
  • A , Psychology, answered

Adult ADHD can have a negative effect on your relationships in that you can't seem to focus on or complete tasks, or give your partner the attention they need. Watch psychologist Jeffrey Gardere, PhD, discuss the ways ADHD can impact relationships.

• A answered

Your relationships can say a lot about the status of your attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Tension and distance are common patterns because inattention and impulsivity can make it difficult for you to listen and communicate effectively. People may get annoyed because you interrupt them. They may get upset because you don't remember conversations or because you struggle to focus on them when they talk. And you may start to feel walls go up. If you have trouble meeting other people's expectations or feel like you don't have time to invest in your relationships -- that may be the ADHD talking.

1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can adult ADHD affect my perspective on life?