How can attention deficit disorder (ADD) affect my self-esteem?

The relational intelligence of attention deficit disorder (ADD) leads to self-doubt because it will almost always be invalidated. Anyone who calls a person on her BS will predictably be given the feedback that he is wrong. Few people will admit that the irreverent, read-others-like-a-book quality is right on the mark. There is a reason the other person may not be expressing clearly her emotional state, and those same reasons often lead her to tell the ADD person that his perceptions are wrong. So an ADD person goes through the world saying that the emperor is not wearing any clothes and constantly being told that the emperor is indeed wearing clothes. As a result of this devaluation of the perceptions that are at the heart of his gift, the person's self-esteem may suffer.
The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths

If you have attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may act impulsively, daydream, and have trouble focusing, but clinical studies suggest that these same symptoms may make you exceptionally creative,...

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
How can counseling benefit people with ADHD?
Both individual and family counseling help in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disor...
How can I benefit from the intuition of my partner who has ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Interpersonal intuition means that sometimes when your attention deficit disorder (ADD) partner ...
Think Twice Before You Share Your Insights