Does IDEA cover college students with ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is not designed to cover college students with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). To qualify for benefits under IDEA, a student must be 21 years old or younger and enrolled in public school.

To learn more about receiving special learning accommodations in college, a student should contact the campus office for student disabilities. The student disability office can answer questions and guide the student regarding ADHD and campus services. For instance, a college may provide mentoring, priority registration, counseling, and other services for students with ADHD. According to the National Resource Center on ADHD, securing assistance and counseling for ADHD can provide a number of benefits for college students.

Continue Learning about Living With ADD/ADHD

Adderall Abuse: A Growing Risk for Young Adults
You know a prescription drug is widely abused when it becomes the main character in recent movies! A is for Adderall is a documentary in production ab...
How can adults with ADHD use their impulsivity to succeed?
Impulsivity -- a common characteristic of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) -- has...
Can exercise help me focus if I have attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
One of the best ways to increase your attention and focus if you have attention deficit disorder...
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations