Can you develop liver disease if you don't drink alcohol?

Although drinking alcohol excessively can cause liver disease and damage, you can develop liver disease even if you don't drink alcohol. Two common types of liver disease in addition to alcoholic and viral liver diseases include nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and a special type of NAFLD called nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH. NAFLD is a condition in which the liver contains excessive amounts of fat. People who have NASH have excessive amounts of fat in their livers and also have inflammation and scarring of liver tissue. Risk factors for both of these conditions include:

• Obesity
  • High blood cholesterol levels
  • High triglyceride (blood fat) levels
  • Diabetes
  • Metabolic syndrome

Continue Learning about Liver Disease

How can I protect my liver?
You can protect your liver by eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly and avoiding intake of tox...
What are the symptoms of liver disease?
Manish Thapar, MDManish Thapar, MD
Most of the time, people with liver disease have no symptoms. Liver disease is usually picked up dur...
How long do I have to wait for a liver transplant?
Manish Thapar, MDManish Thapar, MD
Most of the time people end up waiting months for a liver transplant. It varies a little bit from yo...
What is cirrhosis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Cirrhosis is a disease of the liver. It happens when a liver has been damaged, and can result from e...