What is the key to longevity?

Sleep is always going to be very important -- but diet and nutrition is the most important thing you can be thinking about with regard to the issue of longevity. How you fuel your body; what that fuel does to your body. All that sort of stuff makes a huge difference and it's very controllable.
Robert DeVito
Fitness

Important things to increase longevity?

1. Better Nutritional Habits

Increase your intake of Fruits and Vegetables

By increasing your fruit and veggie intake you will provide substantial nutrition for your body and mind. You will also help yourself to maintain a healthy weight because of the decrease in intake of processed and unhealthy junk food.

Take a Multi Vitamin as Nutritional Insurance

Let's face it - no one eats perfectly and providing your body with the nutrition it needs to thrive is agreeable vital. There is enough research to suggest that taking a daily Multi Vitamin is a good idea.

Stay Hydrated

Make water your drink of choice to help hydrate your body and optimize its performance. An added bonus to drinking more water is that you will typically consume fewer calories from mistakenly eating instead of drinking and by decreasing calories from sugary drinks.

2. Decrease Stress/ Develop Healthy ways to handle stress

You've heard the saying "Stress is a killer." Well, it's true! And it makes you miserable. Stress is a natural part of anyone’s life. Finding ways to slow down and have proper perspective are important.

I utilize the S.T.O.P. method whenever I am losing control. I coach myself to
Stop, Think, Choose and Proceed. It allows me time to think about outcomes rather than just respond. This method definitely helps me stay calm.

3. Move your body

Moving your body at least 20 minutes daily (preferably up to 60 minutes) will help to maintain a proper weight and increase your fitness levels. Exercise will boost your metabolism and help to maintain balance and flexibility. Moving will also help to keep your joints healthy and help to boost your mood.

4. Expand your mind

Equally as important as exercising the body is challenging the mind. Exercising your brain by reading for at least 20 minutes daily or taking part in challenging "mind puzzles" like Sudoku or Crosswords will help to keep you mentally sharp and focused.

5. Increase your social network

Being surrounded by people who care about you creates feelings of connectedness and love. Caring for others does the same thing. Staying connected helps to keep you young at heart.

6. Monitor your health stats

Taking part in regular check-ins with your physician will keep you abreast of your body's needs and challenges and can alert you to what needs special attention and care. Be sure to follow your Dr's advice with any health issue.

There's recent data on how to take a licking' and keep on ticking'. Like the old Timex watch commercials, the key to longevity is resilience—the ability to bounce back in the face of adversity, such as the death of a loved one or the loss of a job. For about 20% of us (some research shows the numbers are higher) it comes naturally: You're glad to get back into of the swing of life pretty quickly and feel stronger for having weathered the storm. For others, bouncing back is a long, slow slog through the blues until you come out the other side.

Fortunately, everyone can learn how to gain the health benefits of resilience: less stress, lower risk of heart disease, and less depression and anxiety. Here are three ways you can strengthen your ability to bounce back:
  1. Cultivate an optimistic outlook. This is an important part of being resilient. Daily meditation can help you to look on the bright side and say bye to the stress that causes grumpiness.
  2. Keep your body strong and limber. How? Eat a diet powered by lean protein and lots of veggies, fruits and 100% whole grains. When you feel physically strong, your self-esteem increases. That's another vital part of resilience.
  3. Nurture your social connections. They provide security and love, and help keep emotions on an even keel. As blood pressure decreases, ability to cope goes up.
So, reach out and touch someone—physically and emotionally. Remember, two hugs are better than one!

Continue Learning about 100 Days to 100 Years

One Simple Rule That Will Keep You Slim
One Simple Rule That Will Keep You Slim
The average US portion size has been growing, along with the average waist and dress size, for decades. Meanwhile, American life expectancy has droppe...
How can marriage affect my health and longevity?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Overall, it seems marriage helps a person live longer. But interestingly, the research is somewh...
How can optimism affect longevity?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Optimism is definitely an important quality to have as one ages. According to the MacArthur study su...
How to Boost Your Joint Health and Lengthen Your Life
How to Boost Your Joint Health and Lengthen Your LifeHow to Boost Your Joint Health and Lengthen Your LifeHow to Boost Your Joint Health and Lengthen Your LifeHow to Boost Your Joint Health and Lengthen Your Life
Expert-approved foods, moves and tips to help you live a long and limber life.