What foods should I eat if I want to live a long life?

Dr. Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

It is no surprise that diet is an essential factor to health and longevity. So, what should you be eating? In my studies, I found that the centenarians of two reputed "longevity capitals" -- Okinawa, Japan, and Rugao County, a rural community four hours north of Shanghai -- shared a nearly identical diet. These long-lifers eat mostly fish, vegetables, mushrooms, seaweed, corn and buckwheat -- and virtually no meat. Scientists have confirmed the health benefits of a diet high in fish and vegetables and low in other animal products. These centenarians are living examples, as they suffer from very little heart and liver disease and have negligible rates of cancer and degenerative diseases.

Dr. Joel H. Fuhrman, MD

It is not any one specific food, but a combination of all the health-promoting, high-nutrient plant foods – leafy greens, beans, fruits, etc. that slows the aging process and protects us from disease. The accumulation of oxidative damage over time is known to be a significant contributor to biological aging, and oxidative damage is limited by eating plenty of antioxidant-rich produce.

Also critically important is not to overeat on calories. There is substantial evidence that caloric restriction in animals dramatically prolongs lifespan, and also that excess weight in humans diminishes lifespan.

I discuss my list of recommended Super Foods in my book Super Immunity; they are called G-BOMBS: greens, beans, onions (and garlic), mushrooms, berries (and pomegranate) and seeds (and nuts). The health benefits of these foods are supported by plentiful scientific research; they help to prevent heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and other chronic diseases that age the body and cause premature deaths. When you follow a healthy eating style focused on these foods, you will be getting a huge quantity and variety of phytochemicals, and you will be eating for superior health.

Continue Learning about 100 Days to 100 Years

Meatless Meals That Are Secret Calorie Bombs
Whether you want to save the planet or your waistline, going vegetarian—or even vegan—can be a valid way to do both. Dean Ornish, MD, recommends eatin...
What can I do to live long and well?
Your DNA helps determine whether you will be able to live to age 150 or not. Watch the video to fin...
What is the prescription for a good and healthy life?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
You want to be healthy, but you do not want to obsess over it. Being preoccupied with your own welln...
7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship
7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship
Keep your relationship ticking with these easy, expert-approved tips.