What can I do to live long and well?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Your DNA helps determine whether you will be able to live to age 150 or not.

Watch the video to find out more from Dr. Oz what can be done to help you live to age 150.

Dr. Kelly Traver
Internist

The three best things you can do to live long and well are:

• Eat a healthy diet
  • Maintain a normal body weight
  • Do at least 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise most days of the week. That's no surprise: you know that an unhealthy diet, obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle all promote inflammation, which contributes to the relentless wear and tear within each cell.

It should also come as no surprise that part of the formula for living long and well has to do with getting plenty of good-quality sleep, managing daily stress, and avoiding tobacco, excess alcohol, and recreational drugs. Stress and sleep deprivation both increase inflammation. Smoking greatly enhances inflammation and dramatically accelerates aging.

Continue Learning about 100 Days to 100 Years

9 Secrets From People Who Live the Longest
The secrets to a long healthy life may not be as elusive as they seem. In 2014, more than 70,000 Americans lived to be at least 100 years old. So, wha...
What foods should I eat if I want to live a long life?
Dr. Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcDr. Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
It is no surprise that diet is an essential factor to health and longevity. So, what should you be e...
How can marriage affect my health and longevity?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Overall, it seems marriage helps a person live longer. But interestingly, the research is somewhat m...
7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship
7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship7 Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship
Keep your relationship ticking with these easy, expert-approved tips.