What is ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty melts the fat under your skin by utilizing a metal rod that gives off ultrasonic energy. The fat is then sucked out by the vacuum tool called a cannula. This method is especially useful for suctioning out dense or tough fat like what is often found on a man's upper back or torso. The rod can be inserted under skin through a small incision, but it increases risk of nerve damage or skin burn. The ultrasound method can also be employed on the surface of the skin without inserting it under the skin. Frequently used with the tumescent method, ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty is also used when your doctor requires a more precise technique.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty (UAL) uses ultrasonic waves to melt the fat under the skin and is combined with tumescent technique. The ultrasonic generator passes vibration to the cannula. High pitched sound waves agitate and liquefy the fat and makes it easier to remove. 

Continue Learning about Lipoplasty

Is liposuction before pregnancy safe?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Liposuction is absolutely safe before pregnancy. In fact, we perform liposuction on women weekly tha...
Is lipoplasty a life-threatening procedure?
Lipoplasty, more commonly known as liposuction, can be a life-threatening procedure, but it usually ...
How can liposuction help in the treatment of gynecomastia?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Liposuction revolutionized the treatment of gynecomastia (male breast growth). Prior to liposuct...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Liposuction?