What is powered lipoplasty?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Also known as PAL or power assisted lipoplasty uses a power source with vibratory motion to aid in breaking up the fat. It may be useful in difficulty areas including the lateral breasts, arms, and medial and lateral knee areas. I have not found it to be any more useful than straight forward Tumescent technique (the gold standard by the American Board of Plastic Surgery).

Approved by the FDA in 1998, powered lipoplasty is a form of the fat-vacuuming liposuction procedure. A motorized tool called a cannula, which is roughly the size of a pen, is inserted in the skin and vibrates in a way that loosens up fat and makes it easier to remove. It is considered a precision tool for smaller surgery areas like knees, ankles, or arms, and it has been reported that powered lipoplasty may be less painful and cause less swelling than other methods. Other noted benefits include shorter operation time.

Continue Learning about Lipoplasty

Can liposuction tighten loose skin?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
Liposuction is a minimally invasive technique to remove fat (but not skin). It is best performed in ...
Can liposuction tighten loose skin?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Skin and fat are completely different issues, and they need to be addressed with different approache...
Do plastic surgeons work with other specialists?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
Plastic surgeons often work with other specialists, such as general surgeons, dermatologists, aesthe...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Liposuction?