What are the types of liposuction?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The most common types of liposuction include tumescent technique, ultrasonic liposuction, and power assisted liposuction. Most commonly used is tumescent liposuction technique which has 3 specific components. The first component is the tumescent wetting solution, either lactated ringer or sodium chloride which will hydrate the fat cells, second is the lidocaine or numbing solution which may allow for an anesthetic numbing effect for up to 24 hours and lastly the epinephrine causes vasoconstriction reducing bleeding, bruising and may also shorten the healing process. Ultrasonic assisted liposuction is associated with the use of a heat/cool mechanism and allows for fat to be liquefied prior to its suctioning. Power assisted liposuction simply uses a power source to assist the plastic surgeon with the lipo technique.

Homayoun Sasson, MD
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
The types of liposuction include the following proven techniques:
  • Tumescent liposuction, the gold standard of liposuction, is a process by which a large amount of fluid, plus lidocaine and epinephrine, is injected into the intended area via a tiny incision. The fat is broken down and removed via the same incision using small cannulas until satisfactory contour is achieved. It can be done under minimal sedation, regional or general anesthesia, usually as an out-patient. 
  • Ultrasound-assisted liposuction is a process by which ultrasound is used to liquefy fat for easier removal through a cannula. 
  • Laser-assisted liposuction, also called smart lipo, uses safe low-energy waves to break up and liquefy fat prior to its removal via cannulas. 
In all, postoperative management includes wearing a tight compressive garment for about three months in addition to proper lifestyle of diet and exercise in order to maintain the new contour.

Continue Learning about Lipoplasty

What is tumescent lipoplasty (liposuction)?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Tumescent liposuctioning is considered at this time the gold standard of body sculpting with liposuc...
Can liposuction be performed for a breast reduction?
Liposuction may be performed concurrently with a breast reduction. The outer breast often referred t...
What medications are prescribed during lipoplasty recovery?
Lipoplasty (liposuction) recovery is mostly about managing the pain and swelling caused by the surge...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Liposuction?