Am I a good candidate for lipoplasty?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The best candidates for lipoplasty are at their ideal body weight with localized fat deposits and excellent skin tonicity. In general, the abdomen, hips, flanks, thighs, and lateral breasts are proven safe areas for liposculpture. Good skin tone is a must. Compression garments should be worn for up to 8 weeks after surgery to allow for tightening. 

Good candidates for lipoplasty maintain a stable body weight but have specific areas of fat on the body that do not respond to diet and exercise. They are in good health, which is important because heart problems, diabetes, breathing problems, high blood pressure, allergies, immune system weakness, smoking, and alcohol or drug use can increase the risk of complications during surgery. Also, the surgery is more likely to be successful for people who have skin with good elasticity and tone. This is because skin is supposed to mold to new contours, and skin with poor elasticity can appear loose after surgery because it doesn't mold well.

Continue Learning about Lipoplasty

What is the super-wet lipoplasty technique?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The super-wet liposuction technique uses half of the fluid volume infiltrated as tumescent technique...
How common is lipoplasty?
Liposuction is now the second most common plastic surgery procedure after breast augmentation. It is...
What are the types of liposuction?
Homayoun Sasson, MDHomayoun Sasson, MD
The types of liposuction include the following proven techniques: Tumescent liposuction, the gol...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Liposuction?