How can liposuction help in the treatment of gynecomastia?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Liposuction revolutionized the treatment of gynecomastia (male breast growth). Prior to liposuction, the only way to remove male breast growth was to perform a mastectomy-type operation. The huge scars traded one problem for another. In the 1980s, liposuction was first used to remove much of the fat of the breast through small incisions around the bottom of the areola. The breast tissue was removed through this small incision on an outpatient basis. The patient would need about a week off from work.

Ultrasonic liposuction in the 1990s was supposed to treat gynecomastia without excision of breast tissue. Unfortunately, it cannot remove all of the breast tissue by itself, and so an incision and tissue removal are still required. Incisions outside the areola are needed only in giant male breasts. It is probably better to remove as much breast tissue as possible through small incisions and possibly perform a second procedure later to remove any skin that doesn't shrink. In most cases, the extra skin disappears after the breast tissue has been removed, without the need for larger scars.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Lipoplasty

Can liposuction be performed for a breast reduction?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
Many surgeons include some element of liposuction with conventional breast reduction procedures. Mos...
Do plastic surgeons work with other specialists?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
Plastic surgeons often work with other specialists, such as general surgeons, dermatologists, aesthe...
Which areas of the body get the best results from liposuction?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
There are several particular regions of the body that take very well to liposuction. I enjoy wor...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Liposuction?