Can liposuction tighten loose skin?

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Skin and fat are completely different issues, and they need to be addressed with different approaches. Loose skin on the abdomen is usually associated with a tummy tuck. Liposuction can only remove a localized fat deposit, such as that small pooch on your stomach that you hate when you look at your body in profile in the mirror. Skin tone is extraordinarily important and is the determining factor for plastic surgeons when they decide whether you will indeed be a good candidate for liposuction.

The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...
Dr. Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is a minimally invasive technique to remove fat (but not skin). It is best performed in patients who have good skin tone, i.e. without excess skin or skin laxity. In fact, by removing fat from beneath the skin, a surgeon can accentuate baggy or loose skin. Some newer methods such as ultrasound-assisted liposuction or liposuction coupled with laser energy seek to address a skin laxity at the same time as fat removal is performed. While good results can be obtained in carefully selected patients using these methods, oftentimes skin laxity and mild excess fat are better addressed with excision procedures. These procedures include tummy tuck, armlift, thighlift, or buttock lifts. By removing excess skin and smoothing the fat and soft tissues by re-suspending them where they're supposed to be, a plastic surgery can dramatically rejuvenate certain areas of the body.

Continue Learning about Lipoplasty

What are the complications of liposuction for gynecomastia?
Homayoun Sasson, MDHomayoun Sasson, MD
1.    Complications of liposuction for gynecomastia include problems due to the use of anesthesia. A...
What are the different kinds of lipoplasty procedures?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The four main types of liposuction approach include Tumescent, Super-Wet, Ultrasound assisted, and P...
How should I choose a doctor to do my lipoplasty?
When considering liposuction of the body it is recommended to find an experienced and qualified surg...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering Liposuction?