Are there cures for lipid storage disorders?

There are no cures for lipid storage disorders. Because the diseases are ingrained into a person's genes, there is no way to remove the cause of the disease from their body. Because of this, treatments for lipid storage disorders attempt to counteract the effects of faulty genes and enzyme deficiencies, and to manage the symptoms of the disorder.

The first step to seeking treatment for lipid storage disorders is identifying the genes responsible for the particular diseases. Doctors are currently researching to develop treatments, preventatives, and cures based on the faulty genes responsible for some of these diseases.

Continue Learning about Lipid Storage Disorder

How are enzymes involved in lipid storage disorders?
Lipid storage disorders are the results of faulty genes. These genes normally help the body produce ...
Where can I go for support for a lipid storage disorder?
There are numerous support organizations and web sites for people who have lipid storage disorders, ...
Should I talk to my doctor about lipid storage disorders?
Lipid storage disorders are hereditary, which means that they are passed from parents to children th...
Do lipid storage disorders affect children differently than adults?
Because they are genetically inherited, lipid storage disorders are present from birth. This means t...