What is an autosomal-recessive lipid storage disorder?

An autosomal-recessive lipid storage disorder means both parents have the gene responsible for the disease but do not express it themselves. If they have a child, the child will develop a lipid storage disorder if he or she receives both copies of the gene. Children of either gender can inherit the genes and develop a lipid storage disorder.

Continue Learning about Lipid Storage Disorder

Should I talk to my doctor about lipid storage disorders?
Lipid storage disorders are hereditary, which means that they are passed from parents to children th...
What is the rate of incidence for lipid storage disorders?
In general, lipid storage disorders are uncommon. For example, the most common lipid storage disorde...
How are lipid storage disorders passed genetically?
Certain faulty genes that would normally help produce the enzymes that process lipids are responsibl...
Can I develop a lipid storage disorder as an adult?
Most lipid storage disorders begin to appear in early childhood. Because they are genetically inheri...