What is the rate incidence of oral cancer?

About 35,000 new cases of oral cancer are reported in the U.S. each year, representing about 2% of all cancers diagnosed. About 7,600 people die of oral cancer each year. About 60% of people diagnosed with oral cancer are still alive after five years. Most people who get oral cancer are over age 40. About twice as many men get oral cancer than women. 

There are 30,000-35,000 new cases of oral cancer diagnosed in the United States every year. This accounts for approximately two percent of all new cancer cases. Oral cancer also causes approximately 8,000 deaths per year, mostly in patients over the age of 50, and accounts for 1.5 percent of all cancer-related deaths in the United States.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

What is oral cancer?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Oral cancer can affect any area of the oral cavity including the lips, gum tissue, check lining, ton...
How serious is oral cancer?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
The most common type of oral cancer is squamous cell carcinoma which is known to metastasize and cau...
Should I talk to my doctor about my mouth cancer symptoms?
Make sure to tell your dentist about any problems you have when chewing, swallowing, speaking or mov...
What is the rate of incidence for mouth cancer?
The National Cancer Institute estimates that about 40,000 people in the United States will be diagno...