What is the rate incidence of oral cancer?

About 35,000 new cases of oral cancer are reported in the U.S. each year, representing about 2% of all cancers diagnosed. About 7,600 people die of oral cancer each year. About 60% of people diagnosed with oral cancer are still alive after five years. Most people who get oral cancer are over age 40. About twice as many men get oral cancer than women. 

There are 30,000-35,000 new cases of oral cancer diagnosed in the United States every year. This accounts for approximately two percent of all new cancer cases. Oral cancer also causes approximately 8,000 deaths per year, mostly in patients over the age of 50, and accounts for 1.5 percent of all cancer-related deaths in the United States.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

Is there a cure for oral cancer?
Marshall Posner, MDMarshall Posner, MD
Yes there is a cure if it is found in time and you have a team of caregivers that include a surgeon,...
Should I talk to my doctor about my mouth cancer symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Make sure to tell your dentist about any problems you have when chewing, swallowing, speaking or mov...
What is salivary gland cancer?
Salivary gland cancer is a rare cancer that occurs in the glands in your mouth, neck and throat that...
How long will I survive with mouth cancer?
Mouth cancer (oral cancer) is not an immediate death sentence, but it can be life-threatening if...