What is salivary gland cancer?

Salivary gland cancer is a rare cancer that occurs in the glands in your mouth, neck and throat that produce saliva. You have three pairs of main salivary glands:

• The parotid glands, on each side of the face in front of the ears
  • The submandibular glands, at the back of the jaw under the tongue
  • The sublingual glands, on the floor of the mouth under the tongue

Most salivary gland cancers start in the parotid glands. Because salivary glands have several different types of cells that can become cancerous, there are many different types of salivary gland tumors. Some types grow more rapidly than others. Symptoms of salivary gland cancer include:

• A lump or swelling in your face, neck or mouth
  • Pain in one spot in your face, neck or mouth
  • One side of your face seems larger than the other
  • Numbness in part of your face
  • Muscle weakness on one side of your face
  • Trouble swallowing

Salivary gland tumors are usually surgically removed, after which you're treated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy if needed. When caught in the early stages, the survival rate for salivary gland cancer is high.

Salivary gland cancer is an uncommon cancer. It is associated with the salivary glands of the body. This cancer develops as abnormal, cancerous cells are created in any of these salivary glands. Salivary glands are found in the mouth, lips, cheeks, neck or throat. When this rare disease does occur, it most commonly affects the parotid glands. These glands are on a person's face right by their ears.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

How many people get mouth cancer?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
According to the most recent statistics from the American Cancer Society in 2011, some 34,300 new ca...
What is the rate incidence of oral cancer?
About 35,000 new cases of oral cancer are reported in the U.S. each year, representing about 2% ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my mouth cancer symptoms?
Make sure to tell your dentist about any problems you have when chewing, swallowing, speaking or mov...
What is the rate of incidence for mouth cancer?
The National Cancer Institute estimates that about 40,000 people in the United States will be diagno...