What happens if my dentist finds signs of oral cancer during my checkup?

Oral cancer can only be diagnosed with a biopsy, when a sample of tissue in the area is removed and examined under a microscope. However, your dentist can identify suspicious-looking areas or growths that may need further evaluation. If your dentist notices anything unusual during your examination, he or she might reexamine you in one or two weeks because it is possible that the questionable spot might heal during that time. Your dentist may also refer you to another dentist or a physician for a second opinion.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

Is oral cancer serious?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
Yes. The most common form of oral cancer is squamous cell carcinoma which is known to metastasize an...
How long will I survive with mouth cancer?
Mouth cancer (oral cancer) is not an immediate death sentence, but it can be life-threatening if...
Is there a cure for mouth cancer?
Over the past decade, there has been significant progress in treating mouth cancer. Particularly...
What is salivary gland cancer?
Salivary gland cancer is a rare cancer that occurs in the glands in your mouth, neck and throat that...