Does oral cancer affect children differently than adults?

Oral cancer has the same symptoms, treatment, and prognosis in both children and adults. Symptoms of oral cancer include persistent mouth sores, unexplained bleeding in the mouth, and difficulty swallowing, among others. If your child has any of these symptoms, take him or her to a doctor as soon as possible. Fortunately, oral cancer is rare in children.

Oral cancer does not generally affect children. Usually, growths in the mouth are not cancerous. However, when oral cancer does occur in children, the treatments of surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy are basically the same as in adults.

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

Should I talk to my doctor about my mouth cancer symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Make sure to tell your dentist about any problems you have when chewing, swallowing, speaking or mov...
What is the rate incidence of oral cancer?
About 35,000 new cases of oral cancer are reported in the U.S. each year, representing about 2% ...
Should I talk to my doctor about oral cancer symptoms?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
Yes. Oral cancer can be life threatening. The earlier it is treated the better the prognosis. If ...
Is there a cure for mouth cancer?
Over the past decade, there has been significant progress in treating mouth cancer. Particularly...