How can I lower my risk of oral cancer?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Always remember, early detection is vital to prevention. The earliest prevention lies in making slight changes to your lifestyle. You can lower your risk of oral cancer while maintaining a healthier lifestyle by limiting alcohol consumption and tobacco use, limiting exposure to UV radiation or excessive sun, practicing safe sex, and eating foods high in antioxidants.
Your risk of developing oral cancer is much higher if you use tobacco and also drink heavily. Avoid all tobacco products. Visit your dentist for regular oral cancer screenings that may save your life!

Continue Learning about Oral Cancer

How serious is oral cancer?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
The most common type of oral cancer is squamous cell carcinoma which is known to metastasize and cau...
What is salivary gland cancer?
Salivary gland cancer is a rare cancer that occurs in the glands in your mouth, neck and throat that...
Is a whitish patch in my mouth a sign of oral cancer?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
White patches in the mouth are reactions to irritation and/or trauma. Most of these patches are comp...
What happens if my dentist finds signs of oral cancer during my checkup?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Oral cancer can only be diagnosed with a biopsy, when a sample of tissue in the area is removed ...