When should I call my doctor if I have lice?

You should call your doctor if you have lice and over-the-counter treatment medications aren't effective after two applications. You should also call your doctor if you're unable to tolerate over-the-counter lice medications due to an allergic reaction or side effects.
To be sure you get the right diagnosis, call your doctor if you think you or your child have lice. Symptoms include itching, redness, scaling and small bumps or spots on the scalp. Itching may get worse at night.

Lice don't usually cause serious health problems, but they can spread to other people. They can also lead to scratching, which can break the skin and raise your risk of an infection. Lice are usually treated with shampoos or lotions that contain pesticides. Talk to your doctor before you use these products, especially if you:
  • Are pregnant or nursing
  • Have asthma or allergies
  • Have a very young child with lice
  • Need treatment for lice or nits near your eyes (or your child's eyes)
You should also call your doctor if the lice return after being treated. Your doctor can help you choose the safest, most effective treatment options.

Continue Learning about Lice

Up to 12 Million Children Get Lice Every Year—Is Your Child at Risk?
The kids are back to school—and back to germs and contagious conditions. Head lice are most common in school-aged children. In fact, up to 12 million ...
What are head lice?
Head lice are tiny, wingless, parasitic insects that live on humans, hiding in the scalp hair. They ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my body lice symptoms?
You may be able to rid yourself of body lice without speaking to your doctor, but talk to your docto...
How to Treat Head Lice
How to Treat Head Lice