What increases my risk for lice?

Your risk for lice is increased by being in close contact with another person who is infected. In most cases, risk is highest in group settings, such as daycare, camps, slumber parties, or dormitories. Lice is usually spread by head-to-head contact, but it can also be spread by sharing combs, brushes, bed linens, hats and clothing.
Your risk for head lice goes up if you have contact with another person who has lice. You can also get it by using personal items, such as hats, scarves, towels, bedding or hair brushes and combs that have live lice on them.

School-age children and people who live in close quarters with a lot of other people, such as in a dorm or military barracks, have the highest risk of getting lice.

Continue Learning about Lice

Up to 12 Million Children Get Lice Every Year—Is Your Child at Risk?
The kids are back to school—and back to germs and contagious conditions. Head lice are most common in school-aged children. In fact, up to 12 million ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with body lice?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
When caring for someone with body lice you will need to use precaution. Body lice can be transmitted...
What are the symptoms of crab lice or pubic lice?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Pubic lice cause moderate to severe itching, which is typically worse at night. Close inspection of ...
How to Get Rid of Lice
How to Get Rid of Lice