What is hatred based on sexual orientation?

Hatred based on sexual orientation is called homophobia.  It assumes that most people are heterosexual and that people who are not are to be dispised for that reason alone.  Homophobia is no different than any other biased against a group of people simply because they belong to that group, such as colour of skin, religion, ethnicity, etc.  These biases are beliefs not facts and they become a problem when they are expressed in behaviour.  For example, if you refuse to hire a homosexual solely because of sexual orientation, that is a problem.  In fact, it is such an abhorant problem to society, there are laws against it.  As people evolve beyond their fictitious fears, so does society and when society evolves, laws are enacted to strengthen that evolution.

Homosexuality and bisexuality often are subject to social stigmas such as discrimination, prejudice and violence, according to the American Psychological Association.

However,it is important to remember that hatred is often too strong of word as it relates to these issues. For instance, it is possible to disapprove or be intolerant of people of a different race or a different sexual orientation, without proclaiming to hate those people.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: LGBTQ Issues

As a teen, what should I know about gender dysphoria?
Some people have what’s called gender dysphoria, meaning that they feel trapped in the wrong body. E...
Where can I find support as a gay, lesbian, or bisexual teen?
A lot of high schools now have support groups for LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender, queer) ...
What factors might influence my decision to come out?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Letting other people know that we identify as lesbian, bisexual, queer, or trans can be one of the m...
What is homophobia?
Homophobia is the fear of and hatred toward homosexuality or gay, lesbian, or bisexual people. It af...