What are different sexual identities I should be aware of as a teen?

Heterosexuality means being attracted to the opposite sex. Homosexuality means having a same-sex preference, and occurs biologically in at least one out of ten people. Bisexuality means feeling attracted to either gender, and may occur in as many as one-third of young adults as a phase, if not forever. Being asexual means you are not attracted to anyone and have a relatively low sex drive. This can come with overstress, some phases of chronic disease, and with certain medicines, and usually is not a permanent state.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: LGBTQ Issues

What factors might influence my decision to come out?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Letting other people know that we identify as lesbian, bisexual, queer, or trans can be one of the m...
What is hatred based on sexual orientation?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Homosexuality and bisexuality often are subject to social stigmas such as discrimination, prejudice ...
Where can I find support as a gay, lesbian, or bisexual teen?
A lot of high schools now have support groups for LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender, queer) ...
As a teen, what should I know about gender dysphoria?
Some people have what’s called gender dysphoria, meaning that they feel trapped in the wrong body. E...