As a teen, what should I know about gender dysphoria?

Some people have what’s called gender dysphoria, meaning that they feel trapped in the wrong body. Even if this is so, you can still be attracted to guys, girls, or both. So, you can be a girl, feeling like you should have been born a guy, attracted sexually to girls, guys, or both. Confusing? It can be. If this describes you, it is worth talking this out, ideally with a counselor or doctor well versed in issues of gender identity and gender dysphoria (which means unhappiness or discomfort with the gender you have been assigned) so that you can come to a resolution that plays to your strengths, allows you to be comfortable with whoever you are, and leads to a healthy sexuality, no matter what your preference.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: LGBTQ Issues

What factors might influence my decision to come out?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Letting other people know that we identify as lesbian, bisexual, queer, or trans can be one of the m...
What is bisexuality?
Bisexuality has historically been misunderstood and maligned. Labeled as confused, sex addicts, or n...
Where can I find support as a gay, lesbian, or bisexual teen?
A lot of high schools now have support groups for LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender, queer) ...
What are different sexual identities I should be aware of as a teen?
Heterosexuality means being attracted to the opposite sex. Homosexuality means having a same-sex pre...