What is the levonorgestrel-releasing implant?

The levonorgestrel-releasing implant is an intrauterine prescription contraceptive system that releases progestin hormone. This hormone prevents ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovaries). It also makes cervical mucus thicker, which makes it less likely that sperm will fertilize an egg. Also, it causes changes in the endometrial lining that help prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus.

Continue Learning about Levonorgestrel

Who should not use the levonorgestrel-releasing implant?
Women who have a known history of allergy to levonorgestrel should not use the levonorgestrel-releas...
Can I still use tampons while using the levonorgestrel-releasing implant?
The levonorgestrel-releasing implant does not prevent you from using tampons. However, you should be...
What is levonorgestrel?
Levonorgestrel is a progestin hormone that is used by women as an emergency contraceptive to pre...
What happens if I miss a dose of levonorgestrel?
Missing a dose of levonorgestrel greatly increases your risk of becoming pregnant. You should ta...