When should I call my doctor if I have leukemia?

You should call your doctor if you are having symptoms of leukemia, if you have developed an infection while being treated for leukemia or if you are in remission from leukemia and you notice signs of a possible recurrence. You should also talk to your doctor if you have questions about your condition, side effects from treatment or other concerns related to your disease.

Leukemia is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow that results in an overproduction of abnormal white blood cells, and too little oxygen in the blood. See your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms of leukemia.
  • frequent infections and fevers
  • pale skin
  • fatigue
  • weakness
  • bleeding
  • bruising
  • loss of appetite/loss of weight
  • swollen or tender lymph nodes
  • swelling in your abdomen
  • red dots under your skin (petechiae)
  • swollen or bleeding gums
  • unexplained sweating
  • bone or joint pain
  • headaches
  • vomiting
  • confusion
  • loss of muscle control
  • seizures
  • swollen testicles (in men)
  • sores in the eyes or skin

Continue Learning about Leukemia Treatment

Treatment Options for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Because chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)—a type of cancer that starts from cells in the bone marrow and moves into the blood—is chronic, it can take...
What kind of chemotherapy is used to treat leukemia?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
AAs part of your treatment plan for leukemia, you may receive chemotherapy alone, or in combination ...
Are there alternative treatments for leukemia?
Although no substitute for medical treatment, certain alternative therapies can provide comfort and ...
What are the long-term effects of hematologic cancer treatment?
Monique Z. Sajjad, DOMonique Z. Sajjad, DO
A hematologist and oncologist looks at the potential complications resulting from chemotherapy used ...