What are the benefits and side effects of radioimmunotherapy for leukemia?

For patients with leukemia, radioimmunotherapy offers the following advantages:
  • The radiotherapeutic antibody targets and then delivers radiation directly to leukemia cells.
  • By targeting radiation directly to leukemia cells, radioimmunotherapy minimizes side effects associated with most high-dose chemotherapy regimens.
  • Radioimmunotherapy is usually delivered over a shorter period of time (seven to nine days), compared to several months with standard chemotherapy.
Side effects of radioimmunotherapy for leukemia depend on several factors, including whether you have chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy before receiving radioimmunotherapy.

The most common side effect of radioimmunotherapy is a temporary lowering of blood counts caused by radiation to the bone marrow. This reduction in blood cell counts may cause neutropenia or anemia. Other treatment-related side effects may include fatigue, nausea, weakness, diarrhea or skin rash.

Continue Learning about Leukemia Treatment

Treatment Options for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Because chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)—a type of cancer that starts from cells in the bone marrow and moves into the blood—is chronic, it can take...
What new drugs offer hope for leukemia patients?
PhRMAPhRMA
In the past decade, several important new drugs have been developed, and new uses have been disc...
What kind of chemotherapy is used to treat leukemia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
To treat leukemia, chemotherapy, or chemo for short, uses very strong medicines to kill the faulty w...
When should I call my doctor if I have leukemia?
You should call your doctor if you are having symptoms of leukemia, if you have developed an infecti...