What are the traditional treatments for leukemia?

Prior to the recent development of new leukemia drugs, the treatment options available for leukemia patients were  bone marrow transplants, radiation, chemotherapy, or a combination of all three. These therapies work in very different ways but share a common goal of eliminating or achieving remission of leukemia cells and restoring normal blood cell production.

Continue Learning about Leukemia Treatment

Treatment Options for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Because chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)—a type of cancer that starts from cells in the bone marrow and moves into the blood—is chronic, it can take...
When should I call my doctor if I have leukemia?
You should call your doctor if you are having symptoms of leukemia, if you have developed an infecti...
What are the benefits and side effects of radioimmunotherapy for leukemia?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
For patients with leukemia, radioimmunotherapy offers the following advantages: The radiotherape...
What happens if chemotherapy doesn't work for leukemia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Sometimes chemotherapy doesn’t work for leukemia because it doesn't always kill all the leukemia cel...