What exercises should I do to increase my leg stability?

Single leg squats might be the best exercise to improve leg stability.  Here is a good progression to apply as you train single leg squats.  First learn to do them on the floor with a good range of motion.  Secondly, learn to do them while balancing on an unstable surface like a balance pad or mini-trampoline.   Next, build up strength by doing them with additional resistance from a weight vest or dumbells.  Finally, develop dynamic leg stability by doing single leg jump squats in different directions.

In order to enhance your leg stability, you will want to perform exercises in a controlled but unstable fashion. This will force all of the small stabilizing muscles to work in concert with the larger, movement leg muscles to help control the leg in an unstable environment. One can start by simply performing a single-leg balance. One that becomes easy, you can begin moving the opposite leg in multiple directions like a single-leg balance reach. You can then make the exercise more dynamic by now having to move the balance leg while maintaining stability, such as a single-leg squat. You can next incorporate even more movement by performing a step up to balance, then a lunge to balance. When you get really good, then you can perform single-leg hopping movements, such as a hop with stabilization. With all of these exercises, it will be important that the knee of the balance leg always stays in line with the toes and does not crash inward, as that will increase stress to the knee. Also, as your perform the exercises, always try to keep your gluteal musculature of the balance leg tight to help stabilize your balance leg.

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
What can I do about my cankles?
If you have excessive weight or fat deposits in your lower calves the way to remove them is the same...
What is a good exercise to work my inner thighs?
To work the inner thighs perform side lunges, which will specifically target the inner thigh area. S...
What Is a Good Exercise to Work My Inner Thighs?