How can I get stronger hamstrings?

Getting stronger hamstrings requires the right combination of proper nutrition, recovery, resistance training exercises that progressively challenge your hamstring muscles, and use of correct training variables.  Assuming your nutrition and recovery are where they need to be for you to reach your goals, focusing on lower-body resistance exercises that involve hip extension will help the hamstrings to get stronger as long as the correct training variables are used.  Often an overlooked component in resistance training programs, training variables consist of the amount of resistance or intensity used for each exercise; the number of sets, repetitions, and exercises you perform for each of the body parts or muscle groups you are training; the tempo, or the speed at which you perform your exercises; and the amount of rest that you take between sets.  Research shows that the ideal training variables to enhance strength are to perform 4 to 6 sets of 1-5 repetitions at near maximal intensity for each exercise, and allowing 3-5 minutes rest between sets.  In order to challenge and overload the hamstring muscles with the appropriate intensity or weight necessary to enhance strength, hamstring-specifc (leg curls) and compound exercises that challenge multiple muscle groups such as deadlift variations, split squats, multi-direction lunges, and step-ups are highly recommended.  

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
What are some guidelines for building balanced leg muscles?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Pick a series of postures that weight the feet differently and work in both parallel and in exte...
How can I decrease tension in my hamstrings?
A great way to decrease tension and soreness in the hamstrings is to perform self-myofascial rel...
What Is a Good Exercise to Work My Inner Thighs?