How should I do a side leg raise?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
To do a side leg raise, wear an ankle weight and stand behind a sturdy chair with your feet together. Hold on to the back of the chair for balance. Slowly raise your right leg straight out to the side until your foot is eight inches off the floor. Keep your knee straight. Pause. Slowly lower your foot to the floor. Do eight to 12 repetitions. Repeat with your left leg. Rest and repeat the sets.

With a weight in your right hand and your left hand on your waist, stand with your feet together, toes aligned. Rest the weight against your right thigh, bend your right knee and lift your right leg out to the side -- pushing the weight out to the side with it. Bring your thighs together and then repeat. If you have trouble balancing, move your waist hand to a wall. Work up to 25 reps each leg. To make it harder: Work up to 50 reps each leg.

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
What can I do about my cankles?
Too much standing on one's feet can cause swelling, or "cankles." Learn  what to do about cankles ...
How should I do the leg kick exercise?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
To do the leg kick exercise, kneel on all fours with hands flat on the floor, in a table-like po...
Exercises for Shapely Legs and Butt
Exercises for Shapely Legs and Butt