How can I decrease tension in my hamstrings?

A great way to decrease tension and soreness in the hamstrings is to perform self-myofascial release (a form of self-massage) on your hamstring muscles.  Similar to massage, self-myofascial release is useful for locating and relaxing tender spots or 'knots' within your muscles that can be overactive, and when irritated will cause an increase in tension.   Self-myofascial release for the hamstrings can be accomplished with the back of thigh foam roll technique. Perform this technique by using the method described below. Start in a seated position on the floor with your legs out in front of your body.  Next, place the foam roller under the back of your thigh and use your arms to move your body over the roller.  Slowly roll up and down the back of the thigh, moving from the hip down to the back of the knee, paying particular attention toward the outer thigh and applying pressure on any tender spots for at least 30 seconds.  To increase pressure on the tender spots, cross the opposite leg on top of the leg you are rolling (optional).

Continue Learning about Leg Exercises

Bye-Bye Saddlebags: How to Slim Your Outer Thighs
Saddlebags sure are handy when you're riding a horse out on the trail or zooming along on a Harley, but when you're trying to slide into your favorite...
What exercises should I do to increase my leg stability?
In order to enhance your leg stability, you will want to perform exercises in a controlled but unsta...
How can I slim down my thighs?
Achieving slim thighs takes exercise, but that exercise can be fun. In this video, Dr. Oz shows ...
How Fequently Should I Stretch My Calves?