Do learning disabilities affect children and adults differently?

Both adults and children can have learning disabilities, and the symptoms are the same although the context in which they are expressed (school vs. work) may be different. The symptoms of learning disabilities are generally recognized in childhood, although some people who become proficient in coping may not be diagnosed until later in the teen years as academic requirements become strenuous. Adults may have these disabilities, but they will have begun in childhood. If diagnosis and treatment were begun in childhood, adults may have adapted to their disability. If people are not diagnosed in childhood, however, adults may have ongoing problems.

Continue Learning about Learning Disabilities (LD)

How can I ensure that my child's IEP is respected?
When children qualify for individual education plans (IEPs), they are given the opportunity to p...
How prevalent are learning disabilities?
Learning disabilities are relatively common. In the United States, about 5 percent of schoolchildren...
What happens to people who have learning disabilities?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Although different from person to person, the difficulties of learning disabilities make up the comm...
Is there a cure for learning disabilities for kids with ADHD?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
There is no cure for a learning disability. And you do not outgrow it. But it is never too late ...